Friday, June 9, 2017

Critical Spirit; Confronting the Heart of a Critic



This information on critical spirit is based on the characters in the book of Job in the bible. Many people do not realize that Job’s attitude was not always pleasing to God. In fact he accused God of being unfair. I loved it when God addresses Job in chapter 38 "Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me. Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?” June Hunt share characteristics of a Critical Spirit; and what better examples to use than Job’s “friends.” She shares causes for the Critical Spirit and Steps to Solution. Especially useful to me was how to respond to who is criticizing you. I found that I need to be humble and listen carefully because God may be using that person as holy sandpaper to soften my edges. “Release you reputation to God and ask Him to help you with your relationships.” This was such a profound statement for me. Being a school teacher, a teaching director of women’s bible study, and the head of major committees at my church, I am often corrected or offered opinions, confronted and criticized. Andrew Murray on humility “to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised” also echoes June’s statement. Proverbs 27:6 also says to trust wounds from a friend. This booklet has shown me how to approach those who hurt me and also to apologize to those on the receiving end of my Critical Spirit. She shares ways on how to encourage a caring spirit in ourselves. What a treasure trove of pertinent verses on the power of the tongue. A very useful resource. Rose Publishing gave this to me for a fair review.


No comments:

Post a Comment