Thursday, May 26, 2016

Christian Symbols

As a teenager in the Baptist church we worked with styrofoam and glass gold beads to create Chrismon ornaments from the patterns developed by Mrs. Frances Kipps Spencer. My ladies group at church decided that we would make Chrismon ornaments for our sanctuary tree. In the past ten years I have rekindled my love for the symbols of Christ and use only those to decorate my Christmas tree. A local suppliers in Salisbury, NC sells the patterns, church kits, and individual ornaments kits. It is exciting to visit churches around the area and see the symbols of Christ decorating the huge Christmas trees. The church where I teach a ladies bible study has two gorgeous tree literally covered in symbols. Their Chrismon of the Hand of God is very elaborate and detailed. Someone asked me what it represented. Now I know. Also on their tree was and orb and cross/Triumphant Cross. Just this year I determined to add to my collection. The triquetra, also called the Trinity Knot, was fashioned in white pearls and another in gold beads. A Lamb of God/Agnus Dei is one of my favorites, a crown, and star of David were new to my tree this year. This pamphlet is such a useful tool for teaching others about the life of Christ through symbols. To think Emperor Constantine promoted the Chi Roi by having the symbol painted on the soldiers’ shields as they entered the battle to reclaim Rome. One of my favorite symbols is the Ichthus using the Greek word for fish as an acrostic for Jesus Christ, God’s Son, Savior. I jumped at the chance to review this pamphlet on Christian symbols. Thank you Rose Publishing for giving me this pamphlet in a pdf file.

No comments:

Post a Comment