Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Joni Eareckson Tada "Help a Grieving Friend"

Joni Eareckson Tada in her series "Help a Friend" writes about what to do and say to help someone suffering grief. When I saw this title I knew I had to find out how to help a dear friend who is recently lost her husband. Joni has good advice; she list the stages of grief which are usually sequential. Depending on the person; "Grief can also go underground". This is what had happened with my friend. For a while I called her weekly. Then I felt a withdrawing because of all the technicalities and paperwork that encumbered her while closing accounts and filing insurance. It is hard to know when to back off and allow time for healing yet not forget this person going through such pain. The scripture references about grief were from an easy to read translation.  My friend continued to attend church and Bible study but one week it was rainy and dark and she had a meltdown. She came back to me the next week asking if I was the one who gave her a book on dealing with grief. When I gave her the book several weeks ago she didn't seem interested. Saying everyone was giving her books. I hesitated but told her will just keep it and when the time is right to read it. Sure enough after that rainy day it was the time for her to read the material. The scriptures that give us assurance in Revelation 21:4 and Ecclesiastes 3:11 would be helpful to include in a card or a note. One page in the pamphlet reveals signs to look for in your friend that could mean they need to seek professional help. The list of do's and don'ts are essential for caring friends who want to be sympathetic, but sometimes need to deliver advice in love. Often the grieving person needs help taking step forwards like joining a new book club or support group, beginning a new hobby. They may just need to take a respite in the mountains or the beach. Rose publishing provided me with this PDF for a fair and honest review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment