Friday, July 15, 2016

God and Money

In the forward Randy Alcorn said it is common to see the older generation giving a greater percentage of   our income to the Lord’s work. He was encouraged by the authors John and Greg to reach the “millennial generation.” The first section called the foundation is essential information for the “me generation” who feel entitled but not inclined to share,that all of our material provision should be used to honor God, not just our excess.”
“Rather, our goal is to summarize the Bible’s key lessons on money, wealth, and generosity as commonly understood and interpreted by the Church today.” The authors take over 2000 verses in the bible concerning wealth, money.
 God clearly considers enacting justice for the poor a key responsibility of those blessed with wealth.
Beginning in Genesis the authors walk us through the characters of the Bible giving illustrations of the quality of generosity. How we use the wealth God has given us is important in the Lord’s eyes.  Jesus used many parables to teach about God’s on our gifts and how we should properly use them.

I was really hoping this book was easy reading. I should have known when the authors went to Harvard. This book is way deeper than I wanted to go. But it would be a great resource for pastors, deacon, elders, and financial committee members. Sadly it validated what I knew true. When it comes to giving, the church is not much different than secular society. My scripture verse for today. 2 Corinthians 6:12. "Just because something is technically legal does not mean it is spiritually appropriate." This is especially true with God's money. As Christians we are commanded to pay taxes. Using loopholes to avoid paying taxes is not honoring to God. I was asked to serve on the finance committee at my church. It was naïve to think I could change “the way we had always done it.” I wanted to look at last year’s giving and prepare the budget according to our average offerings. As stated in the book once it is established that the money we think is ours, all belongs to God. The question is not how much we should give to God. The real question is how much money do we really require to meet our needs.
This pdf was free from Rose Publishing Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment