Sunday, June 9, 2013

Grace cannot be earned.




The cover of Mona Hodgson's book was the first thing that drew my attention. The title, Dandelions on the Wind was so enchanting. Dandelions are coming up everywhere I look in book titles, jewelry, etc. This was my first time I have read this author, but I enjoyed the easy read.

This is a sweet sensitive story of a young immigrant girl from Denmark coming to America for a prearranged marriage. Maren was slowing going blind and the marriage fell through. She gratefully acquires room and board working for a poor widow and her young grandchild. Mrs. Brantenburg’s granddaughter was Gabi, whose mother had died in childbirth and her father left immediately to go to war. The three females live a companionable existence enjoying their friendship. When along comes Woolly, causing a change in the arrangement.

The ending is predictable but as an avid reader of Amish novels, I enjoyed the German sprinkled throughout the conversation. If you always pull for the underdog you will really enjoy this short book portraying forgiven. One of the quotes from the book still stays with me. “Grace cannot be earned, only given.”  I received this eBook from Waterbrook Multnomah for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment